Newly promoted Brentford FC hosted Liverpool at their Brentford community stadium. The teams faced last time in 1947. Brentford showed why Premier League is the best league with newly promoted teams playing and giving a tough fight to the top tier teams.
Although Liverpool played out a draw against the Bees but have managed to maintain their position at the top of the Premier League table. The game went neck-to-neck. And thus it resulted in a thrilling 3-3 draw.
For Liverpool, there was a change in defence from the last game as the full-back duo Trent & Robertson started for the Reds alongside Matip and Van Dijk. Meanwhile, Curtis Jones had replaced injured Thiago and had a great game. However, the attack was unchanged, and the good news for the kop came in the form of Firmino, who had trained with the team and thus started on the bench.
The opening minutes saw a highly intense game. Coincidentally, the opposing defenders denied the opening goals from opening sides in front of the goal line. Brentford scored the game’s opening goal, and Liverpool came back with a chance created by Salah with a pass to Henderson, and it was headed in the goal post by Diogo Jota. Brentford came back to score the goals by levelling the lead of Liverpool.
- Liverpool has conceded 3 plus goals in a Premier League away game against newcomers this time, and the last time was against Norwich in 2016, where the Reds won by 5-4.
- Mohammed Salah had scored his 100th goal in Premier League for Liverpool in the 151st game. He was the fastest Liverpool to reach this mark. He along with Michail Antonio (WHA) & Jamie Vardy (LEI) are joint top scorers in the league with 5 goals.
- Mo Salah also moved to top 10 Liverpool scorers with 131 goals to his name. If he scores 27 more goals, he will surpass Harry cahmber(151) and Michael Owen(158) this season itself.
- Diogo Jota had scored his 12th goal, and this header was 5th among them.
- Henderson assist to Jota marked 50th assist for the Captain.
- This games also marked as 100th Premier league appearance for Joel Matip.
Brentford 3 – 3 Liverpool: Post match reaction.
Boss Jurgen Klopp said that the result was a fair outcome of the end-to-end competition. The gaffer said
On Liverpool’s performance
“A wild, wild game. Offensively, I am really happy. I think in moments we played some of the best football we’ve played so far this season; we created top chances against a really well organised side. They were very good, but obviously we struggled tonight with their long balls.”
On the reason for submitting Jones for Robert Firmino after his goal…
“Obviously when we decided to make the change it was 2-2, but the reason for it was the way they played, we didn’t really need a third midfielder because they only played long balls. So, we needed a clear structure around the centre-halves players who pick the ball up.”
On Salah scoring his 100th Premier League goal for Liverpool
“That’s exceptional. I think two weeks ago he scored 100 in the league. Now 100 for Liverpool. We give him already the shirt with the 100 on the back – maybe we now have to give him another one.”
On what he made of Jone’s performance
“Curtis is a top player. He is still a talent but a really, really good package and you felt that tonight.”
Moving on, Klopp also said that it was a fair result for both teams. Now the Liverpool boss wants to continue the Reds winning momentum in their upcoming matches.
What’s next for Liverpool
Next up for Liverpool is a trip to Portugal. As the Reds takes on FC Porto on the Second Matchday of the 2021-22 UEFA Champions League on Tuesday night.